Taking on a casual role at Christmas can be a great way back into the workforce, or to starting a new career.
They call it the silly season for a reason – Christmas can get super busy, especially for many employers who are often looking for extra staff to meet the seasonal demand.
Which usually means more casual jobs.
And after what has been a difficult year, including job losses and reduced work opportunities, taking on a casual role can be a great way to get back into the workforce. You can decide whether to go for a similar field, or something new entirely.
How can we help?
AimBig Employment is a disability employment services provider, which supports people with a disability to find, and thrive in, all sorts of roles. We also support businesses to recruit and maintain a diverse workforce. We match the right people with the right opportunities and can help find a Christmas casual position that works for you.
Why Christmas casual work?
Taking on a casual job over the Christmas period is a great way to learn new skills – or hone and update your existing skills if you have been out of work for a while. It is more experience to add to your CV, which can help you land a more permanent job if you will be looking in the new year.
Taking a Christmas casual position can be a great way to learn the ropes especially if you are looking to find work in a new field. You will also see if it will be a role you will enjoy or will be good at. There is no point pinning your hopes on a permanent job in, say, retail next year if it turns out you really don’t enjoy dealing with shoppers! Working during the busy holiday period can give you a real insight into the highs and lows of any job.
While working when many people are on holiday or enjoying Christmas parties can be tough, any work opportunity is a chance to learn new skills, grow your experience and make new friends. You may even meet your future long-term employer! Who knows, if you shine in even just a short time in a casual role, it could lead to more work opportunities in the future.
And remember, working over the holiday period usually means more money per hour!
What do I need to consider?
Year 13 has some tips for applying for Christmas casual work:
- Have your resume ready – don’t wait until you see a job vacancy to start writing or updating your resume.
- Keep an eye on job sites, especially AimBig employment listings .
- Don’t be picky with hours – particularly over the Christmas holidays, employers need people who can work when others can’t.
- Be ready to learn fast – casual work is often only short term with minimal training, so ask lots of questions early to get yourself up to speed.
- Don’t limit yourself – short-term Christmas casual positions are a great way to try new jobs or roles, which might lead to new opportunities for you.
You can look for vacancies on our job board: https://www.aimbigemployment.com.au/jobs-vacancies/